Find an energy performance certificate (EPC) for your home or business
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a legal requirement for homes and businesses in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. An EPC assesses the energy efficiency of a property and provides a rating from A to G, with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least energy efficient. EPCs are important for a number of reasons, including:
- Helping you to understand the energy efficiency of your property
- Meeting certain legal requirements
- Making informed decisions about energy-saving measures
- Improving the value of your property
How to Find an EPC
There are a few different ways to find an EPC for your home or business:
You can search for an EPC online using the government’s EPC register:
You can contact an accredited energy assessor to carry out an EPC assessment for your property. You can find a list of accredited energy assessors on the government’s website:
If you are selling or letting your property, your estate agent may be able to provide you with an EPC.
What to Include in Your Search
When searching for an EPC, you will need to provide the following information:
- The address of the property
- The type of property (e.g., house, flat, commercial)
- The date of construction
In addition to the above, you may also want to consider the following factors when choosing an EPC provider:
- Experience: Choose a provider with experience in carrying out EPC assessments for similar properties.
- Cost: Compare quotes from different providers to get the best price.
- Location: Choose a provider who is located near you to save on travel costs.
There are a number of legal requirements that you may need to meet when obtaining an EPC, including:
- If you are selling or letting your property, you must have an EPC in place before you can market the property.
- If you are a landlord, you must provide your tenants with a copy of their EPC within 7 days of receiving it.
For further information on EPCs, please visit the following websites:
- Government EPC website: https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate
- Energy Saving Trust: https://www.groundwork.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/My-Energy-Saving-